In the early 1900s, the Nakoma neighborhood was rapidly expanding. The residents of the area were invested in growing the community, specifically by establishing a golf club. On June 23, 1923, after numerous debates, the Nakoma Country Club was first established, near the future intersection of Seminole Highway and Manitou Way.
Nakoma Country Club originally consisted of a rudimentary 9-hole golf course with a temporary clubhouse, but the future was full of ambitious plans. In 1924, a more permanent clubhouse structure was built and moved onto the current Nakoma property, located where the maintenance facility is today.
In 1925, a full 18 holes of golf, designed by Thomas Bendelow, opened for play with appropriate Native American names given to each of the holes. The club continued to grow through the rest of the 1920s and early 1930s, with more than 300 members actively enjoying the club. With this early success Nakoma was able to build a completely permanent clubhouse facility.
The course operated publicly in 1939 and 1940. Beginning in 1941, George Vitense operated the course. Vitense was approached by a group of investors in 1942, and Nakoma Golf Club, as it exists today, was formally reborn a private club in May of 1944.
Over the years, Nakoma Golf Club has evolved into the tradition-rich and sophisticated club it is today. The current 105-acre facility has seen countless improvements throughout the years, including the addition of a swimming pool, tennis facility and enhancements to the golf course.
To this day, Nakoma Golf Club remains true to its original values, “to promote the common good and welfare of all its members, to operate and carry on the business of a private golf course and to encourage various athletic and social events, all while to cultivate friendship and fellowship among its members.”
We look forward to the continued future of Nakoma Golf Club, both as a private club and historical landmark of Madison, Wis. We invite you and your family to experience the deep history and legacy of Nakoma Golf Club.